Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chocolate

My boyfriend is not a fan of chocolate. I absolutely do not understand this about him. It baffles me. How do you NOT like chocolate? He doesn't even have much of a sweet tooth, but he does have a HUGE weakness for any kind of fruit-flavored candy. This makes his tastebuds slightly more comprehendable to me. All morals concerning selflessness, theft, and sharing go out the window when he is in the same room with sour gummy worms, gummy bears, jelly beans, you get the picture. THIS I get, because I'm almost as bad about chocolate. However, when it comes to our preferred desserts, we agree to disagree. We just shake our heads in bewilderment at each other in the candy aisle as we reach for our Sour Patch Kids (him) and Reese's Peanut Butter cups (me). The plus side: we'll never have to share our candy with each other.

Last night, while on a family vacation in San Diego, my parents and I visited the Ghirardeli's Ice Cream Shop, because we heard that their hot fudge sundaes are to die for. Personally, I was all in after just hearing "Ghirardeli's." Bring on the chocolatey goodness- I don't know the meaning of "too much" chocolate. We arrived in the Gaslamp Quarter, found our destination, and I all but floated through the front door of the shop. The smell was amazing-melted chocolate and fresh-made waffle cones. I was already on a chocolate high. We looked at the menu and each picked out our own decadent sundae: Mint Dream, Espresso Escape, and Peanut Butter Hot Fudge. We did NOT plan on sharing at all. The three beautiful confections arrived at our table, and my eyes grew by about 10 inches.


Isn't that beautiful? I dove in head first. Savored every bite, while whatever happy chemical it is that chocolate has went straight to my head. This was the best. dinner. ever. Then, about halfway down, I ran smack into a chocolate wall. I have never in my life hit chocolate overload, but there is a first time for everything. This was unprecedented. I almost didn't believe it, so....I kept going. I got to the melty-chocolate ice cream end, and the only thought my brain could form was, "whoa!" You can clearly see that thought on my face:


Now, my boyfriend knew about this impending sundae adventure, and as we were walking back toward the car, my phone rang. My first words after I hit the answer button were, "I never want to see another piece of chocolate ever!" Somehow, he didn't believe me, and I had to relive the whole glorious, overwhelming experience for him all over again. Then I restated my new anti-chocolate stance, to which he replied, "Yeah right. I give you until tomorrow morning before you want chocolate again." Okay, so he knows me way too well, but I'm sticking to my guns for another 8 hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment