Friday, December 11, 2009

Who am I?




In October, I ran 13.1 miles for the first time in my life. That half marathon itself was actually a heck of a lot more fun than the 7, 8, and 10 mile training runs I had done before the race (ha, like I actually tried to be fast!). So fun, in fact, that I made a semi-impulsive buy the other day and signed up for 1/2 Marathon #2 in February.
$91 later, I'm wondering just how crazy I've become. Three years ago, I could not run for 2 minutes at a time, and now I'm paying almost a hundred bucks to go run around Huntington Beach for almost 3 hours straight (remember the "not trying to be fast" part?). To make matters worse, I sometimes get more excited about sales on workout clothes and Nikes than I do about sales on dresses, tops, and high heels. Seriously?! Whoa.
I mean, I now know things I never thought I would have any clue about. For example: running on a closed-down freeway is really flippin' cool; fruit flavored protein gels are horrific, while Power Bar raspberry flavored energy gels are to die for; wearing a water bottle strapped to your butt gets old after about half a mile; eating a big Mexican meal after running 8+ miles is actually not a good idea; and Eminem's "Lose Yourself" is one of the best motivational running songs ever, even though I am so not an Eminem fan.
Did I mention that the finishers' medal for this race is a surfboard? As a surfer's girlfriend, I have to represent, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment